Return of the Prodigal Son by Pompeo Batoni - 1773

Evolution for the Catholic Student

Order 'Evolution for the Catholic Student' - Click on the image above


Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Prayer for Boston


A Prayer for Boston

 

I hadn’t intended to write about the bombings in Boston.  Really, who am I to comment on the suffering of so many people in the aftermath of such a tragedy?  But I also felt almost disrespectful posting anything else without even mentioning it.  So I will plan to be brief.

When I heard of the bombing, the one emotion I did not feel was shock.  It’s sad to say, but I’d bet it’s true for many of us.  This attack is the latest in a line of shootings, stabbings, kidnappings, etc.  And even terrorism is not shocking.  None of us were unaware that terrorists wanted to kill us.

So though I hope that the government agencies succeed in finding those who committed this crime and bring them to justice (though I’m not sure what a culture that protects Kermit Gosnell and calls pro-lifers terrorists knows about justice), I’m not looking for the bigger context here.  Do I hope that our country will one day respond to the evil in its midst with humility, repentance and honor of God; rather than the continued defiance, pride and godlessness that has been our standard response?  Of course.  And I hope these things will help people take their eternal destinies more seriously.

But for now, my only real response is to pray for the victims.  I spent yesterday morning consumed by a financial crisis that has hit my family.  Then I learned of the attack, and the many people who lost arms and legs; and the family who lost their eight year-old son to the explosions.  My life was suddenly put back in perspective.  Perhaps all we can do now is mourn with those who are suffering, as we did at Sandy Hook, and Aurora, and everywhere else.  The politicians can worry about policy and security, and I hope God guides them as they do.

But me, I’m just going to try, the best I can, to support my suffering brothers and sisters in prayer.  May God be with them, and may the souls of all the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.