Return of the Prodigal Son by Pompeo Batoni - 1773

Evolution for the Catholic Student

Order 'Evolution for the Catholic Student' - Click on the image above


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Thanks, Daddy

Thanks, Daddy
Today (March 29) is the fifth anniversary of my father’s death from cancer.  I have received few blessings as wonderful and undeserved as the parents God gave me.  This is a short piece I wrote at the time of his death.

When I was a baby, sometimes Daddy would hug me so hard it seemed like I would break.  But I never did.  I was always safe with Daddy.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

Then when I was a little boy Daddy taught me how to ride a bike.  Sometimes I thought I was going to fall.  But I never fell when Daddy was with me.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

When I got a little older Daddy taught me how to play ball.  We would throw and catch and hit and laugh.  It never got too dark to play with Daddy.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

Sometimes Daddy had to take a trip for work and when he got home it was late at night.  Sometimes he brought me a present and sometimes he didn’t, but he always came to kiss me good night.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

When I was a teenager Daddy taught me how to drive.  I think even Daddy got scared then.  But he always knew what to do.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

One day it was time for me to go to college.  I was nervous because I’d never been so far from home.  But Daddy said it was going to be all right, and it was.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

When I became a man, I got married and had a son of my own.  Sometimes I didn’t know what to do, but I could always trust Daddy’s advice.  Thanks, Daddy.  I love you, too.

Now I can’t see Daddy the way I used to.  I can’t visit him or talk to him on the phone.  But I can find him in my heart.  And I bet he’s praying for me.  Thanks, Daddy.  I still love you, too.